Sunday, March 8, 2009

A moment of Silence

I just want to take a quick moment to mourn the passing of real animation. I miss hand-drawn animation. Cells that truly qualify as art. Pay attention to the backgrounds the next time you watch Sleeping Beauty. I miss soundtracks so good it wins Oscars and Grammies and you hear it in karaoke. Superstars used to sing the releases. And they were original songs written just for the movie. Sure, there were too many white people and too few mothers, but the solution to that is a little cultural sensitivity, not scrapping the art form all together.

Don't get me wrong, I'm into digital animation as it's own art form, but it doesn't have to replace drawings entirely. And the new Disney stuff (minus Pixar) is only a dusting off of old titles. No new characters, no good story lines, no good music, straight to DVD to keep the 3 year old set happy. It's sad. I miss the old Disney Execs who knew what it meant to those of us who care.

No comments: